Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Romantic Egyptian

I'm very enjoying reading the ancient Egypt poems. Before I read the poems, the only thing in my mind about Egypt are Pyramids and Pharaoh. In my opinion, the ancient Egypt poems must be related to religion and hymn to god. However, when I read this section, I found many poems about love, they showed us the emotion and love in ancient Egyptian daily life. I know these poems come from different period of ancient Egypt. The period of the Old Kingdom has the largest and earliest group of poems comes from the pyramids. They include narratives, incantations, and invocations designed to help the Pharaohs' sole on its journey to the other world. In the period of the Middle and New Kingdoms, the poems are lyrics, narratives, and devotional poems.

There is one thing I never think about Egyptian is Romance. In the poem "Love Songs", it tells a story about a man who is in love with a woman he cannot have. He even describes her as a "goddess." He also does not see any flaws of this woman's appearance. This poem deals with the feminine aspects and descriptions of love, showing how women are the epitome of everything that is beautiful in the world. In the poem"I wish I were her Nubian girl", it tells a story about a man wishing he were her servant girl, because the servant would be privy to things that no man could be. Both of these two poems showed that in ancient Egypt, women were treated better than any of the other major civilization including men. After reading these ancient Egypt love poems, I know that love and emotional support were considered to be important for the ancient Egyptian women. Even though thousands of years past, we can still tell the very lovely, romantic story from the scattered fragment.

No comments:

Post a Comment